Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Natalie Goldberg


Natalie Goldberg--if you have ever picked up a 'how to write' book, you have come across this name millions of times. Natalie Goldberg is one of the top gurus for workshops, crafting writing, and everything else that is part of the creative generating process.
When I attended Deb McLeod's Novel Boot Camp Seminar a few weeks ago, I learned that Natalie Goldberg is actually the founder of free writing (the activity of placing pen to paper for a solid time limit without worry of logic or grammar). Also, I learned that clustering (or webbing) came out around the same time in the 80's. Oddly enough, it never occurred to me that these techniques wouldn't have existed before-- that someone, some generation, had to come up with these ideas.

In any case, the next few weeks of prompts will be coming from Natalie Goldberg's  Wild Mind: Living the Writer's  Life and Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within.


1 comment:

  1. That's awesome - I was like you - I didn't realize that a certain generation came up with these things. I love the free-writes and they've been around as long as we've been alive so it makes sense we just take them for granted <3

    ReplyDelete