So, one of my goals from a couple of weeks ago was to type up the hand-written novel beginning from my NaNoWriMo 2009 attempts. Which I did. Granted I noticed a few things when I did this:
- When Dani is time writing, she'll write anything; therefore, I have added two wars, a holiday, and a cultural rite of passage that I don't believe I meant to add to the story (especially since one of my wars is supposed to happen 25 years AFTER the beginning of the story)
- 2009 Dani and 2012 Dani have the same ideas. I would type a sentence and would go "oh wouldn't it be cute if..." and then the next sentence would be what I thought.
- two of my scenes aren't with the rest of the story (I found them this past week though!!)
- My nymph's eye color changed mid story. clearly I've gotten confused about my vampire and nymph details
- some of my solutions are too obvious, and I need to make them more of a challenge
- I found a HUGE hole in the plot line (why not just kill the evil guy with my nymph assassin who just changed sides?)
- My POV is all over the place. It switches from limited 3rd, omniscient 3rd, and observing 3rd. Not only is that problematic, but some of my limited scenes are in a point of view of non-main characters. Clearly my inability to write something longer than a scene has gotten me in this fix.
- I have too many unemotional characters in this book. I know that three out of the five are from races and aged so they should be less emotional--however, I'm sure that my personal want to be stoic is coming into play.
- I made my other two characters telepathic with each other (say what??) I don't remember doing it, but I need to rewrite the scene anyway so that's going to go.
Homework from last week:
Ok so last week wasn't that great for any of my goals (including things outside of the blog). But I did get some in:
- I did do my hour (and more) on typing up notes
- I got the laptop set up (security, Microsoft office, and Internet)
- I bought and started the tutorial for Scrivener (yes, expect a post about this once I'm done with the tutorial)
- moved, reformatted (Microsoft Work to Microsoft Word) all past works, moved all writing over to the laptop (that took longer than I was expecting), and somewhat organized it.
- wrote up (hand-written) the description of beta reader vs. review/critic group read
- subscribed to Writers and Poets and read 3/4 of it.
- researched POV and started making an outline for a later blog
- free wrote two days (I really need to get better on this)
- rewrote the problem scene through those two free write (but still not done with the scene)
How about the rest of you-- how did your homework go?
What do you want to work on this week?